Gamma Sigma Omega
The Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was chartered on May 29, 1943. The chartered members were Irene Pope Alexander, Francis Clark Dye, Juanita Fogg Jennings, Mattie Beverly Payne, Mayme E. Hubert Russell, and Martha Wilson, the first chapter president.
In June of 1943, a well-known Savannah white woman, Adeline Graham, died and the local newspaper announced that the deceased woman had left property and funds “to whoever might start a movement to establish an orphanage for Negro children.”
At the September 1943 chapter meeting, Frances Dye told the other members what she had learned from the announcement. The members of Gamma Sigma Omega did what was required and founded what is now known as Greenbriar Children's Center. For years, the Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated and Greenbriar Children’s Center, Incorporated was almost synonymous. Greenbriar became the chapter’s primary project, which included raising funds, leadership, personal involvement, and service. In approximately 1966, Federal, State, and City funds became more readily available to the Center.
In 1964, Greenbriar began to accept children of all races. Today, Greenbriar is valuable part of the Savannah community, operating two affordable and accredited early learning centers for low income families, an emergency shelter for neglected or abused children, Project Safe Place and a family preservation and counseling program. Gamma Sigma Omega Chapter maintains its commitment of service and support to ensure its continued progress.